Monday, September 29, 2008

Learning Progressions

Since I was unable to view the live web seminar, I have decided to do my blog on the reading for last week. One of the things that I learned about in chapter 4 of ready, set, science! was the benefits of learning progressions. Some benefits are that they require serious thinking about underlying concepts, they prompt educators to think about how topics are presented at each grade level, they can draw on research about children's learning in determining scope and sequence, they incorporate all four strands of scientific proficience, they engage students with meaningful questions, they suggest the most appropriate ages for introduction of core concepts, and they can suggest the most important tools and practices to assess understanding.

1 comment:

Cathy Ezrailson, Science Education, University of South Dakota said...

A good start, Tessa. Be sure to include discussions of class activities and labs for each class as well as your additional blogging assignments.
Dr. E